The weather is getting warmer, and summer vibes are beginning to set in. Enter all the vibrant colors and refreshing salads. I’ve been eyeing all the mangos for a while at the grocery store and now is the time for them- it’s peak mango season (well I’m actually a little late but better late than never). To be honest, the kick in the butt I needed was a look at my Instagram profile and seeing very little green and almost no salads over the last few months. I took this as a wake up call: I need more salads! And this Mango and & Avocado Salad with Cotija and Tangy Basil Dressing did not disappoint. So if you’re in a bit of a salad rut like me, this is the perfect salad to jump back into the mix.
The base of this Mango & Avocado Salad with Cotija and Tangy Basil Dressing is a combination of slightly crisp and mellow butter lettuce, sweet mango, and creamy avocado. Cotija and the tangy basil dressing add a burst of tangy contrast, and the cotija is nice for a change in texture too (also it looks beautiful). While not everyone loves raw red onion, I personally like the pop of color and flavor they add. I dice or slice them into very thin slices to mellow out their astringent flavor.
Behind this Creamy Tangy Basil Dressing
I developed this dressing recipe several years ago for Edible D.C… and somehow I never got around to actually putting it on the blog! In this recipe, I say you can use any herb you want (cilantro, parsley, basil), but I’m biased toward basil. I’ll be honest- I was slightly worried because I’ve somewhat forgotten about this dressing and haven’t made it in a while and sometimes our palettes change. Luckily, it was just as I remembered. Perfectly tangy and creamy.
Looking for Other Salads?
P.S. Liking the flavors in this Mango & Avocado Salad with Cotija and Tangy Basil Dressing? Here are a few other salads you may enjoy….
- Watermelon & Avocado Salad with Crispy Onions
- Tomato & Watermelon Chicken Shawarma Monster Salad
- Grilled Corn & Blueberry Monster Salad with Balsamic Skirt Steak
Mango & Avocado Salad with Cotija and Tangy Basil Dressing
Tangy Basil Dressing
- ½ cup tightly packed, ~1.5 ounce or 1 ½ bunches fresh parsley or other herb of your choice (while the leaves are the best part, it’s okay to use some of the stems here too)
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, ~1/2 lemon or a bit more
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons, 80g plain 2% fat or higher content greek yogurt or skyr
- 2 garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil, 60g
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 mangos, sliced
- 2 heads butter lettuce, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, (about 1/4 red onion)
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese
Make the dressing
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Make the salad
- Pour about 1/4 cup or so of the dressing in the bottom of a big bowl.
- Add in butter lettuce and using tongs, toss to lightly coat the lettuce in the dressing.
- Add mango, red onion, avocado, and cotija on top, along with a bit more of the dressing. Serve immediately.