This has been one of my favorite combinations of flavors for salads this month. I tried it once in early August and found myself craving it almost every week. It just feels so summery and bight. Juicy and sweet watermelon and tomato work perfectly with the smoky and spicy chicken. This salad is the perfect excuse for me to buy all the different types of watermelon (this salad in the pic used a yellow watermelon) and tomatoes (go for different colors!) at the market.
I’ve done this with both my basic lemon vinaigrette and basil vinaigrette; both are great, but I think the lemon really makes these flavors pop.
Tomato & Watermelon Chicken Shawarma Monster Salad
- 1/2 cup diced watermelon, about 1/8 watermelon
- 1/2 cup diced heirloom tomato, about 1 small tomato or 1/2 large
- 2 tablespoons sliced red onion, about 1/8 red onion
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber, about 1 small cucumber or 1/2 large
- 4 cups leafy lettuce like romaine
- chicken shawarma, see here
- lemon vinaigrette, see here or basil vinaigrette (see here)
- Toss everything together in a large bowl. Normally I like to do this in a really big bowl, putting all the items on the bottom and lettuce on top.
- Add the dressing and toss. Transfer to whatever bowl you plan to eat out of- all the good stuff (tomato, watermelon) will naturally go to the top.