This recipe has been in the making since early summer- sometimes it just takes time to find the perfect ratios and cook time. I wanted a version of these delicious hoisin glazed short ribs I made in 2016 that was instant pot friendly and a little lighter- the hoisin is still there, but not as dominating and heavy.
The recipe is super streamlined: Combine sauce ingredients, pour over meat, and cook in instant pot. It’s also perfect for leftovers- I’ll make a batch and then repurpose it in different ways: a stir fry (as seen here), tacos, or even quesadillas.
Hoisin Glazed Beef
Difficulty Level: 2
- 1 pound stew meat or chuck roast, cut into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger puree
- 1/2 cup hoisin, 120g
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-3 teaspoons sriracha, depending on the amount of heat you want
- Optional: 1 tablespoon coconut or brown sugar** (I’ve found that the flavor of hoisin sauce can really vary from brand to brand. Some are more sweet, some more salty. Taste the sauce and see if you think it needs this before pouring over the meat.
Vegetable Stir Fry. Use about 3 cups of various vegetables cut into julienned matchstick. Here’s what I used:
- 5-7 medium carrots, matchsticks
- 1/2 purple radish, julienned
- 1/2 kohlrabi, julienned
- 1 zucchini, julienned
Easy Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh pureed ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Optional: sesame seeds and scallions, for topping
- Salt the meat: Place meat with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Make hoisin sauce: In a small bowl, combine garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, sriracha, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Add the sauce and cook: Pour about 1/2 of the glaze and toss to thoroughly coat. Add in the 1/2 cup water. Cook for 38 minutes on high and let pressure release naturally.
- Cool and shred: Remove meat from instant pot and place in a large bowl or container. Let cool a bit, and then shred to desired consistency. Toss shredded beef in remaining hoisin glaze. Keep in mind that this will lose some moisture when kept in the fridge, so I usually over glaze if using for leftovers.
- Make the stir fry: Combine stir sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in a bit of oil and once pat is hot, add in veggies. Let veggies sit, without stirring much, for a few minutes and then add in the sauce. Again, stir somewhat infrequently and cook veggies until desired texture, about 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve hoisin beef, stir fry veggies with some rice and top with scallions and sesame seeds.
Tried this recipe?Mention @Kate_Cooks_ or tag #katecooks!