This recipe is a riff off of my original green falafels recipe I made about a year ago- I still love falafels as a protein source for my lunches, although I wanted to find ways to make this easier and simpler. You do really need a food processor for this one, but if you have it- trust me it’s SUPER simple. Just toss everything in and you’re basically done.
This parsley dressing is also adapted from another herby dressing I made, but with sage. I upped the yogurt a bit to really get that tangy flavor going on. As I tried to think of a descriptive and catchy title for it, I realized this is actually SUPER similar to a green goddess dressing. So I’m going to consider my take on a green goddess dressing.
Easy Basil Falafels with Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or panko, (1.25 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan, (1 oucne)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can chickpeas, unsalted, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup assorted basil or other fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, chives all work too)- don’t worry about chopping, just toss them in!
- 1 shallot (or 2 tablespoons diced red onion- about 1/4 of a red onion)
- oil spray or 1-2 tablespoons high heat oil like grapeseed oil or avocado oil
Parsley Green Goddess Dressing (makes 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons (33g) white balsamic or champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (27g) fresh lemon juice, (1/2 lemon or just a bit more)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (80g) plain icelandic skyr or greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch (1.5 ounces) parlsey, stems included
- 1/4 cup (60g) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place everything in a food processor and pulse chickpeas are mostly broken down and finely chopped.
- Make patties: Scoop falafels into small 1/3 or so cup patties- just big enough to fit in the palm of your head comfortably- this make about 6. Be sure to squeeze the mixture quite strongly to help it bind.
- Heat a non-stick oven-proof skillet over medium heat (if you don’t have open proof, no worries- just transfer to a baking sheet when baking). Spray pan generously with oil.
- Fry falafels: Place patties onto pan- it should sizzle immediately. Use a spatula to flatten the falafel a bit so you maximize the crispy part (the outside!). Cook until the bottom side is brown, about 2-3 minutes, then flip for another 2 minutes.
- Bake: Place pan in the oven until falafels are fully baked inside, about 5-7 minutes. Serve.
Parsley Green Goddess Dressing
- Toss everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Store in airtight container for up to a week.