Made with whole grain flour, greek yogurt, and honey, this cake is the perfect dessert to feel festive and indulgent without totally breaking the bank. Although it’s sweet, it’s not overbearingly sweet, meaning 1) you can really taste the lemon and poppyseed 2) you can have it for a breakfast treat the following day. It’s a great alternative (or compliment to) all the holiday cookies.
Lemon & Poppyseed Whole Grain Bundt Cake
- 3 cups 383g whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 ounces 145g grapeseed oil
- 3/4 * cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 10 ounces cups plain full fat greek yogurt
- 1.5 ounces lemon juice fresh (1-2 lemons)
- 3 ounces orange juice fresh (1 orange)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/2 lemon or so
- 1/2 cup 93g confectioners sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix to combine.
- In another large bowl or bowl of a standing mixer if you have one, place in oil, honey, eggs yogurt, lemon juice, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Beat with standing mixer or hand mixer until well combined.
- With mixer still running, slowly add in dry ingredients. Stir in lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Spray bundt pan with oil spray or rub with butter. Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Rotate pan to make sure it is evenly cooked and bake for another 25-30 minutes, until browned and a knife can come out clean.
- Let cake rest in pan for at least 10-20 minutes before inverting it onto a baking rack to cool.
- Whisk lemon juice and sugar together until a glaze is formed. Immediately pour over cake once the cake is cool.