I love a salad where the ingredients do all the work. A combination of roasted strawberries, creamy burrata, and peppery arugula sing in this Strawberry & Burrata Salad with Balsamic Glaze. It’s a savory take on one of my favorite recipes of early summer: my roasted strawberries. These strawberries can be made up to 3 days in advance (and maybe even more- they just never last that long in my fridge). By making them ahead of time, you can literally whip up this salad in 5 minutes. Take a bowl, add some arugula drizzled with olive oil and then top with burrata, the strawberries, and some balsamic glaze (and more olive oil). Don’t forget a generously sprinkling of black pepper and salt at the end.
A few notes: Strawberry & Burrata Salad with Balsamic Glaze
While it seems simple (and it is), each ingredient is essential here because they add a contrasting flavor or texture. First you have the strawberries: slightly soft, tart, and sweet. You can also use fresh strawberries here, but I like the complexity that roasting adds. Next: a soft, mellow, and creamy cheese and peppery and slightly bitter arugula to contrast the sweet and tart strawberries. Last: balsamic glaze and extra virgin olive oil to round everything out and dress the arugula.
A quick note about the glaze and olive oil: since this is essentially your “salad dressing,” use the best you have. This is when I pull out my more expensive, nicer extra virgin olive oil. I also like to use a thicker balsamic glaze rather than balsamic vinegar for this- this one by Seggiano is my current favorite (and can be found at Whole Foods).
Strawberry & Burrata Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- 1 cup roasted strawberries, see recipe below
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 ounces burrata
- balsamic glaze, for drizzling
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- freshly cracked black pepper, for topping
- maldon sea salt, for topping
- Make roasted strawberries according to directions below (this can be done up to 3 days in advance).
- Add arugula to a large, shallow bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and lightly toss.
- Add burrata and strawberries. Drizzle with a touch more olive oil and the balsamic glaze. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.