Nothing beats a tangy, refreshing and ice cold drink when its getting this hot. As per usual, I have an abundant amount of rhubarb in the fridge, so including it just seemed like the obvious option.
This is my take on a simple syrup- it’s only made with honey (and an option to add some stevia). It’s easy and stores in the fridge for at least a week (tbh, I haven’t tried longer, but I’m exploring that and also freezing it).
Customize this drink as you want and use this as a starting point. Let me know if you make any adjustments or additions! P.S. I think some gin or vodka would go real well in this (I just haven’t tried it).
Honey Rhubarb Lemonade Spritzer
Rhubarb Honey Syrup (makes about 1 cup)
- 5 ounces rhubarb diced (about 1 stalk)
- 3 tablespoons honey (if not using stevia, add in another tablespoon of honey)
- 6 ounces water (3/4 cup)
- 2 packets stevia
Rhubarb Lemonade Spritzer
- 3 ounces rhubarb honey syrup 1/3 cup
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup
- 2 ounces lime sparkling water
- mint for garnish (optional)
Make the Rhubarb Honey Syrup
- Place rhubarb, honey, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool just slightly before straining it through a colander to remove the rhubarb “pulp”. Try to get as much liquid from the rhubarb when straining.
- Immediately after straining, add in stevia and stir to dissolve. Then let cool completely. It will be more liquidy than a typical simple syrup, but trust me on it.
Make the Lemonade
- Combine all ingredients. Taste and adjust as desired.