The perfect balance of sweet yet spicy, this is one of my lazy go to’s when I don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen. You can also make the spice ahead of time, in bulk, and pull it out when you want the quickest meal ever. The key to the perfect salmon is all in the cooking time and temperature- there is just SUCH a difference between overcooked salmon and perfectly cooked salmon. If you have a thermometer, use it. If you don’t have one, consider getting one if you like to cook salmon a lot. It’s my number one and most important tool for fish.
Enjoy leftovers of this salmon with my salmon tacos!
Easy Sweet & Spicy Chili Rubbed Salmon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound salmon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or high heat oil
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine coconut/brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle paprika mixture over the top of the salmon. Lightly pat to distribute the seasoning.
- Preheat an oven safe pan (like a cast iron) to medium heat. Once warm, add in butter- it should coat the bottom of the pan. Then add in salmon, skin side up. It should sizzle immediately. Let salmon sit, without moving, for about 3 minutes. You should begin to see the color the salmon at the bottom change a bit and become more opaque.
- Flip salmon over so skin side is down. Immediately place in oven and bake until fish is fully cooked and registers around 120-125 degrees at the thickest point, about 6 minutes.