My weekend plans? You can find me curled up in a blanket, watching holiday movies (give me your favs/reccs in the comments!), and drinking this.
Full disclosure: We’ve been hooked on making this since October. After having some on a chilly night dining outside, Matt found a recipe from @bonappetit to make our own. Since then, we’ve adjusted just slightly. Its simplicity is perfect: combine some merlot, port, and apple cider with an orange and some spices.
As far as spices go, cinnamon sticks and cloves are key. Cardamom pods and star anise are a fun addition, but if you can’t get them or don’t think you’ll use them again, you can easily make this without and it’ll still taste delicious.
Winter Mulled Wine
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 orange
- 6 cardamom pods optional
- 3 star anise seeds optional
- 2 cinnamon sticks a must! not optional!
- 1 bottle Merlot
- 1 1/2 (12 ounces) cups apple cider
- 1 cup port
- Puncture the orange with the cloves.
- In a medium saucepot, add in everything (cider, orange, spices, wine) except the port. Bring to a very gentle simmer (boiling or a strong simmer will evaporate the red wine!) and simmer for 20 minutes (between 150-170 degrees F).
- Stir in port right before serving. Serve warm.