Despite it getting colder out, I’m still all about these popsicles. And strawberry rhubarb is such an amazing combination I’ll find any way to celebrate it. I’ve hoarded at least 3 pounds of rhubarb in my freezer, so this is a perfect way to use it. Sound excessive? Perhaps, but I literally was looking for rhubarb since last September and had to wait until late May to find it, so hoarding and freezing that much was totally justified, right?
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam & Cheesecake Popsicles
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- 8 ounce frozen or fresh strawberries
- 8 ounces frozen or fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, optional
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 ounce cream cheese
- 6 ounce Icelandic skyr
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Pinch Sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small sauce pot, add strawberries, rhubarb, honey and sea salt. If strawberries and rhubarb are fresh, add 1/4 cup water. Place on medium heat until bubbling, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, until rhubarb and strawberries are broken down and soft. Remove from heat. Option to add chia seeds here. Let cool completely (can be done up to 2 days ahead of time).
- Add cream cheese, skyr, honey, sea salt, lemon zest, and vanilla to a medium bowl. Whisk together well using an electric mixer- if you don’t have one, you can just whisk by hand.
- Make the popsicles: add a small layer of cream cheese filling, then a heaping tablespoon of jam. Repeat again. End with the cream cheese filling (so in the end you have 2 layers of jam and 3 of cream cheese). Place in freezer for at least 8 hours.