The ultimate weekend brunch recipe: Shockingly simple, minimal bowls and equipment, a delicious result, and good for leftovers throughout the week.
The first time I made the recipe, I set aside a good amount of time for it, assuming homemade doughnuts would be a bit of a project. Not only do these not require much time (because they have no yeast), but making the batter is one of the easiest baking recipes I’ve done in a while. 30 minutes later and I found myself with a perfectly warm and fluffy donuts in my hand.
This recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit to be whole grain and refined sugar free and full of fall spices and chai flavor. The only thing I have to try out is to see if I can bake instead of fry it.
Chai Spiced Donuts
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour 150g
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (120g) full fat skyr or greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 cup honey or white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Chai Spice Sugar Coating:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Whisk baking powder, flour, and salt in medium bowl.
- Whisk egg yolk, sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a spatula- fold batter until dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Place dough on floured surface or parchment paper. Sprinkle flour on top of dough- be generous and sprinkle more flour on top until the dough does not stick to the rolling pin or counter. Roll out until 1/2’’ thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut donuts into 4’’ discs. For each disc, punch a whole in the center with your thumb and use your hands to lightly smooth out and mold the dough into a circular donut shape. Place donut on parchment paper.
- Once you’ve cut out all the discs you possibly can, combine the leftover dough back together.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until you’ve used all of the batter. You can also make donut holes with the dough if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices and sugar for the chai spice coating.
- Pour canola oil into a deep heavy cast iron pot until about 2 inches deep. Heat oil until 350 degrees.
- Place donut in oil and fry until light brown, about 90s per side. Immediately place back on parchment paper once done to lightly cool.
- Roll donut in chai spice coating and then place back on parchment.