I tried a variation of this vinaigrette about five times before settling on this final recipe. Things I love about it: 1. It doesn’t thicken up like crazy in the fridge, so it’s a perfect dressing to make on the weekend and have throughout the week 2. It’s made with just a small handful of ingredients, and many of them are probably already in your pantry 3. The basil flavor shines and comes through, but in a balanced way.
Super Simple Basil Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) champagne vinegar (I have done this with red wine or rice vinegar; it changes the flavor slightly but if you’re in a pinch it will work)
- 6-8 tablespoons 3-4 ounces extra virgin olive oil *Why the range? It all depends if you like your dressing more tart/vinegar-y or more oily. If you aren’t sure, 7 tablespoons is a good place to start. Taste and then see. P.S. Don’t taste with a spoon- dip in a piece of lettuce and taste it.
- 2 cups lightly packed basil (~ 2 ounces basil leaves, which is usually about 2 bunches)
- 1/2 shallot roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- . Store in fridge for up to 8 or so days. While i haven’t had issues with this thickening up in the fridge, if you find it does, you can add in a touch more oil and let it sit out for about 10 minutes before using.