They’re sweet, but not overly so- Matt felt like their sweetness was more like a muffin, but I still wouldn’t categorize these as muffins because their texture is much lighter and fluffier (like you’d expect from a cake or cupcake). These recipe is very straight forward and a great weekend bake. The only slightly fussy thing you need to do is sift the flour to ensure that light texture!
You can also make this in a cake- I’ve even used doubled it to make 2 or 3 layer tiers.
Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes or Cake
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, at room temp
- Zest of 2 or 1 large lemon(s), (about 2 teaspoons zest)
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temp
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120g) full fat skyr or greek yogurt
- 1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) almond flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces fresh diced strawberries or other berry of your choice
- Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream (see recipe below) or Citrus French Buttercream!, You can use any frosting of your choice here. I like this citrusy french buttercream seen at the very bottom of my macaron post, BUT it’s something that you need to reserve some time for. The lemon swiss meringue recipe below is easier/less time consuming, but it will still take some time too (although it’s not cloyingly sweet like some icing with powdered sugar, which is why I personally think it’s worth it).
- Preheat oven to 375. Prep cake pans/muffin tins by generously spraying with oil or rubbing with butter.
- In a standing mixer with paddle attachment or using a handheld electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Then add eggs in one at time. Lastly add in greek yogurt/skyr and vanilla extract.
- In a separate medium bowl, sift flours, baking powder, and salt. Add in gradually to the egg mixture and beat.
- Add in strawberries and beat until just mixed.
- Bake 22-24 minutes for cupcakes or 25-30 minutes for cake, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let rest on baking rack until completely cool before removing from pan.