Sometimes I feel like a broken record with this combination of fruit, cheese, nut, but it just never gets old. If you’re looking for a way to enjoy the beautiful figs in season, this is my number 1 recommendation. It’s simple and spotlights the figs in the best way.
The sweet: figs an blackberries
The crunch: Spicy candied walnuts
The creamy: Slightly stinky blue cheese
The tang: white balsamic vinaigrette (or a regular one)
Fig, Blackberry, & Candied Walnut Salad
- Place arugula in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over and toss.
- If transferring to another bowl: Add in walnuts, blue cheese, blackberries, and figs and toss lightly- most of this will fall to the bottom, but when you transfer to another bowl, they’ll go to the top.
- If not transferring to another bowl: Add in about 3/4 of the toppings and toss very lightly. Then the rest of the toppings and don’t toss so they stay on the top.
- Season lightly with pepper and salt before serving.
Maple Spiced Walnuts:
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (just a small pinch) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (can also do less if you want) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread walnuts onto a baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until fragrant and slightly brown. Let cool slightly.
- Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add in coconut oil or butter, salt, cinnamon, chili powder, and maple syrup and stir. Then immediately add in walnuts. Saute for about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to coat walnuts in butter and spices. Place in a bowl and let cool before serving. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.