As summer approaches, it’s all about grilling. It’s quick, simple, and healthy. These kabobs include some of my favorite vegetables to grill- peppers, zucchini, red onion- along with my favorite fruit to grill- pineapple. Grilling lightly caramelizes the pineapple and adds a sweetness that makes these skewers pop and contrasts the darker umami flavors of the bulgogi skirt steak.
Grilled Bulgogi Skirt Steak with Pineapple Veggie Skewers
- Juice of 1/2 orange about 1.5 ounces, 3 tablespoons
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1/2 large pineapple cut into 1’’ cubes
- 2 small zucchini or 1 large zucchini cut into half moons
- 2 red peppers cut into 1’’ slices
- 1/2 red onion cut into large slices
- 1 tablespoons olive oil + 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil enough to coat the veggies with oil
- sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients (orange juice, garlic cloves, soy sauce, peeled ginger, honey, toasted sesame oil). Pour over the skirt steak in a closed container. Marinate in the fridge for at least one hour, two is ideal (up to four). Halfway through, flip the steak to make sure the marinade is evenly applied.
- Preheat grill.
- In a large bowl, add pineapple, zucchini, red peppers, and red onion. Toss in olive oil, sesame oil, and sea salt. Then arrange on skewers.
- Place steak on a well oiled grill. Grill steak until the inside registers 140, about 3 minutes/side.
- Place skewers onto grill, rotating occasionally, until they are lightly charred on all sides.
- Serve. I like to serve this with brown rice or sweet potato fries.