Red Cabbage: Generally under appreciated and underused. And currently in season and something you’ll be able to find in stock right now.
By slicing it SUPER thinly, it can act as almost a crispy lettuce of sorts. and change up the texture and flavor of salad. Here I’ve paired this cabbage with a creamy tahini-lemon dressing that has just a bit of lemony tang. Add on some homemade croutons and fresh parmesan for the final touch. All together, it reminds me of a distant (and healthier) relative to a typical caesar salad.
Not Your Typical Caesar Salad: Red Cabbage with Creamy Lemon-Tahini Dressing & Homemade Croutons
- 1 small red cabbage or half large red cabbage, sliced super thinly
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan, shaved
- 1 cup homemade croutons (see recipe here)
Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive
- 1/4 cup water
- To make the dressing, put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing on top of cabbage. Use your hands to toss dressing in with cabbage and lightly massage the cabbage to tenderize it.
- Top with parmesan and croutons.