This is a great vegetarian meal for both vegetarians and flexitarians- although you do have to be a mushroom fan! Mushrooms and a strong marinade bring out earthy umami flavors, while a jammy egg adds some substance (p.s. make a few extra eggs to have the next day- you won’t regret it). Fresh cucumbers, carrots, and avocado contrast these strong flavors of the mushrooms and the yolk with a refreshing lightness. This also works great for leftovers the next day.
Mushrooms & Mushroom Marinade:
- 1/2 pound mushrooms- shitake or oyster work well
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon pureed ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
Other Bowl Toppings/Vegetables:
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 1-2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, spiralized or grated
- 1 small cucumber, diced – tossed in 1 teaspoon rice vinegar and marinate for 5-15 minutes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon or so sesame seeds, for topping
Make the “jammy” soft boiled egg first:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- Gently add in eggs with a slotted spoon. Boil, uncovered, for 3 1/2 minutes. Remove from pot and immediately place in ice water to stop cooking.
- After a few minutes, peel egg shell and set aside.
Mushrooms & Marinade:
- Remove stems from mushrooms by hand. Slice into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, grapeseed oil, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, honey, and sesame oil. Add in mushrooms and toss to coat mushrooms in mixture. Let sit out at room temperature and marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- While mushrooms are marinating, prep your other vegetables (slice, dice, etc.)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in enough oil to coat bottom of pan thinly. Add in mushrooms and saute, tossing occasionally, until mushrooms are brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice to bowl, and then mushrooms. Arrange scallions, avocado, carrots, cucumber, and egg (cut in half) around the bowl. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Serve.