This hearty vegetarian meal is loaded with flavor and veggies. Don’t be scared by the somewhat long list of ingredients- most of it is spices or vegetables. Luckily, these spices are fairly common- I didn’t have to buy any spices in particular for this (and if you do- I promise that you’ll use them again). Cater the vegetables in this recipe to what you have on hand- other options that could be added here are broccoli, cauliflower, or winter squash (if doing winter squash or potatoes, add those in first and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, as they will take longer to cook).
Instant Pot Turmeric & Ginger Red Lentil Stew with Greens
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, enough to generously coat bottom of pan
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, , about 5 cloves
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1/2 ounce fresh turmeric, grated or minced OR 1 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 5 carrots, cut into 1/4’’ rounds
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1/2 bunch collard greens, cut into ribbons * can also use spinach or kale!
- Place a large soup pot over low to medium heat. Add in oil and onion. Saute onion until translucent and light brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in all the spices (garlic, ginger, turmeric, curry, sea salt, and cumin) and stir to evenly coat onions.
- Add in coconut milk and saute for an additional minute or two.
- Add in red lentils and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, until red lentils are mostly broken down.
- Add in carrots and green peppers and continue to simmer, covered, until carrots are just about tender, about 8-10 more minutes.
- Add in greens last- if using a heartier and tougher green like collards or kale, you’ll need to cook them for about 5-8 minutes. For spinach, 2-3 minutes will do. When adding the greens, don’t worry about them stacking and steaming on top- just add the greens on top of the lentil mixture, cover the pot, and let them steam to reduce in size. After a few minutes, you can then stir the greens easily into the mixture and let them continue to cook as needed.
- Serve with basmati rice and (more) vegetables of your choice- I like serving this with green beans. Veggies galore!
Tried this recipe?Mention @Kate_Cooks_ or tag #katecooks!